Monday, January 4, 2010

עֹז־וְהָד ֥ר לְבוּשָׁ֑הּ וַ֝תִּשְׂחַ֗ק לְיֹ֣ום אַחֲרֹֽון׃

"Strength and dignity are her clothing.
She laughs at the time to come."

Those of you who may have explored this blog know that I am a social worker/therapist. I work with individuals and families, children,adolescents and adults. Today something profound happened for me. I had a moment where my "Jewishness" spoke. It is important to note that I apply fairly traditional analytical boundaries to my work...all that to say I NEVER talk about myself unless it is used in service of the patient. ....and that is a very rare occurrence.

As I sat with a woman who is experiencing many difficulties, including image issues with aging in a culture that generally doesn't support it, the above quote began the bubble in my mind. Then all of a sudden I said it to her!

I often use different resources to help patients, from quotes and myths, to religion so it wasn't totally out of form...but what was new, was this just came to me, no struggle, no angst a pure thought in an effort to help. A Jewish Thought!

I have noticed themes in the Jews By Choice world, and "feeling Jewish" is a big one...today I didn't feel Jewish...I was Jewish!

No comments:

Dunking Rachael

Love, Faith and Life